SIDEBAR
E
B
A
R
Gordon Ramsay’s Broccoli Soup
March 13th, 2009 by Foodie

Gordon Ramsay made this soup in a competition against the owner/head chef of Clubway 41. Clubway 41 had a broccoli soup which consisted of 20 different ingredients, whereas Gordon Ramsay’s broccoli soup consisted of just 5! This soup really only contains 3 ingredients, should you choose to not count water and garnish as ingredients; “most importantly, this soup actually tastes of broccoli”!

Chef Ramsay has since expanded on this recipe to include goat cheese and walnuts. I’ve tasted the simpler version of this soup from Kitchen Nightmares and I can’t wait to try it with the two extra ingredients, it looks fabulous and my mouth is watering from writing this article!

There is a video at the end of the article if you would prefer to watch Gordon Ramsay prepare his Broccoli Soup.

Ingredients:

• 1 large or two medium broccoli clusters (as fresh as possible)
  • Salt (3 tsp.)
  • Ground Black Pepper (4-5 turns on the grind wheel)
  • Water
  • Olive Oil

if you want to make the fancy version in the video, you’ll also need two more ingredients:

• Goat Cheese (2 slices per bowl)
  • Walnuts (about 5 per bowl)

Cooking Gordon Ramsay’s Broccoli Soup:

Bring water to a boil in a large stock pot. Add a large pinch of salt (1 – 1 1/2 Tbsp.). Add broccoli and boil rapidly.

You will want to slice your goat cheese at this point if you’re making the fancy version. Dip the knife into the boiling hot water before each slice for even smooth cuts. Cut two slices of goat cheese per bowl being served. After cutting, use the hot smooth side of your knife to smooth one side of the cheese slices for appearance.

Your broccoli is finished cooking when you can pierce it with little or no effort. Remove the stock pan from the stove burner. DO NOT POUR THE WATER OUT! Use a slotted spoon to add broccoli to a blender but be careful because it’s boiling hot! Pour enough of the water left over from cooking the broccoli to fill the blender half way. Add a pinch (or more) of salt. Use several pulses on your blender to break the broccoli up and then puree for several seconds.

If you are making the fancy version, add five walnuts to the bottom of a shallow bowl and then place pieces of goat cheese on top of them.

Pour soup into shallow bowl. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and serve at once! Delicious!

Please leave comments and let me know how this turns out for you.

YouTube Preview Image
facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

88 Responses
  • Amy writes:
    May 16th, 20092:27 pmat

I have chronic TMJ and have been put on a “liquid diet” for the next 8 weeks. I do not have my jaw wired shut, as the current problem is muscular and the “liquid diet” should to the trick! I have been on the diet for 1 week so far, and have been having great difficulty finding ways of making delicious “liquified” meals. I haven’t been too creative, but seem to be lacking some important nutrients not offered in Fruit Smoothies and Yogurt. This broccoli soup is going to be perfect! I am even thinking of adding either cauliflower or carrots for a little more flavor. Too bad I don’t have any goat cheese in the house, as the “fancy” version (minus the crunchy walnuts) sounds even better! This is the first time I’ve visited this web-site, but I am most anxious to try other recipes, as well!

• Amy writes:
    May 16th, 20093:48 pmat

I just made this (with the addition of carrots) and what a Kitchen Nightmare I had! I think I put too much water in the blender (or my blender is too powerful)! I had brocoli soup all over the kitchen (and me) 3 times! Of course, I had clean up the whole kitchen each time, and keep trying, hoping it wouldn’t end up all over the kitchen each time, but now I have broccoli soup everywhere! It tastes really good, though and I would probably make it again (with much less water or less broccoli or less of something)! I am going to enjoy it and then worry about santizing the kitchen later! There was just too much liquid, and it kept forcing the lid right off, so the soup was spurting out of the lid and everywhere! I think I need to spend a little more time getting to know my blender! Have a great night, and thanks for putting this recipe (and video) on this web-site! -Amy

• Foodie writes:
    May 16th, 200910:01 pmat

LOL, thanks for the funny story! You have to put your hand on top of the blender if you don’t have a tight fitting blender lid!

• Jum Deab writes:
    June 10th, 200911:25 pmat

i also have made this a few times and had soup EVERYWHERE!!! hold on tight. when you think your holding on tight enough, your not. TIGHTER! also i have made the 4 times and the best results are when i used hardly any water. start with none and add from there.

• Emmely writes:
    June 20th, 20096:18 amat

I just made this soup and it came out wonderful! So easy and taste so fresh. I did exactly as the youtubefilm and had no accidents in the kitchen!

Emmely from Sweden!

• Greg Kibitz Rcokland, ME USA writes:
    July 18th, 20092:39 amat

I just made the mistake of making this the very same way Gordon cautioned not to during the episode in which it was featured, to add more things than just broccoli, seasoning and water. I got all fancy & french and started with some onions, garlic & leeks saute’d in olive oil, butter and smaltz and then added a small potato and chicken stock and wouldn’t you know, I overpowered the delicate broccoli flavor just as Gordon had said would happen. So next time I will try it Gordon’s way and I bet it will be much improved. But the one time before this one that I used my recipe, and added some fresh basil leaves, that was simply fabulous, but then the broccoli flavor was even that much less evident and it was more a pesto soup (but one can never go wrong with pesto – me loves the basil!).

Oh, and I forwent the blender all together and I used my immersion blender instead. Takes a bit longer to get the perfect puree but surely far less mess and much quicker cleanup (and no major faux pas like forgetting to hold down the lid and/or not draping a kitchen towel over top to avoid any hot soup flying that may get ejected*)

* With some blenders, no matter how little you put in, some always get ejected especially when puree’in very hot foods. Its hot due to the thermodynmics of it where the mechanical processing allows for very high rats of heat transfer and stheu steam generation resulting in very high pressures inside the Blender Jar and that pressure has only one place to go, out the top, spurting along with it whatever gets in its way. This release of high pressure steam not unlike shaking up a carbonated beverage and pulling th tab or unscrewing the top. So yes, be sure to hold the lid down firmly but also be warned that it is best to always drape the top of the blender jar with a kitchen towel, not simply to keep from making a mess, but to also avoid the even more significant risk of severe scald burns or even blindness from the very hot foods and liquids that are being ejected.

• Lori writes:
    September 14th, 20094:55 pmat

I’m finally making this tonight and can’t wait to taste it! From past experience I can share that it’s hard to blend any hot liquid without a blow-out. Air needs to be able to escape via the spout portion of the blender lid, and hold down the lid covered with a kitchen towel.

Thanks for the nice video. Instead of goat cheese and walnuts, I’m going to use some fresh mozzarella and pine nuts.

• Foodie writes:
    September 16th, 20092:34 pmat

Pine nuts are so tasty!

• Kim writes:
    November 14th, 20095:46 pmat

I made this soup and found it a nice change but not something I’m in love with. I with I had added the walnuts for the texture, but I believe the goat cheese was just too strong for my tastes. I’ll try a cheese with a less robust flavour next time.

• Karl writes:
    November 14th, 20095:57 pmat

I tried this soup with Kim and it was good. I suppose that once we get the hang of cooking together things will go more smoothly in the future, however the cheese was just fine, in my humble opinion.

• Omar writes:
    November 21st, 20095:31 pmat

I made this soup, substituted Colby and Monterey Jack cheese. It was amazing, so simple, extraordinary flavor. I’m also glad that I didn’t go lazy and use frozen broccoli. My father became a vegan about a year ago and raved over it. Thanks for posting.

• heather writes:
    December 26th, 20095:05 pmat

This recipe is delicious and light, but I would follow Gordon’s advice for a “large pinch of salt,” rather than the 3 tablespoons that the printed recipe suggests. I followed the written instructions and felt like I was licking ocean water off of my soup spoon. Talk about overpowering the delicate flavor of the broccoli! The goat cheese and olive oil drizzle is great with the broccoli, but ease up on the salt!

• Foodie writes:
    December 28th, 20094:06 pmat

Oops, that should have said tsp. Sorry about that. I’ve fixed it.

• Smita writes:
    January 29th, 20106:21 amat

Looks yummy! My hubby’s on a diet and I think I’ll make this soup right away (sans cheese!) :D
    Thanks!

Smita

• cerco casa writes:
    March 24th, 201010:23 amat

I’ve been reading a few posts and i’m adding your blog to my rss reader , thanks !

• Pratt2006 writes:
    April 6th, 20109:16 amat

I made this for the mrs and the kids. It was “absolutely delicious, bursting w/flavor”. My mother in law fancies herself a world class chef(she’s more like a navy cook) and told me I am crazy thinking I can make soup with broccoli and water. Man, was she surprised. My one trouble was in trying to slice the goat cheese; no matter how hot I made the knife I couldn’t get a clean slice (3/4 through the roll).

• Chris writes:
    April 9th, 20102:36 pmat

I have made this recipe multiple times and it works just as well with frozen broccili. I have also found a good pinch of course salt on the top before serving really completes the dish.

I really like that there isn’t anything other then brocilli – it is hard to find a good recipe when your trying to watch the calories.

• Dan Coupe writes:
    April 27th, 20102:48 pmat

Will be trying this recipe with my Scout group tomorrow night as part of a ready steady cook evening. Wish me luck :D

• Dan Coupe writes:
    April 28th, 20102:35 pmat

It went ok, except two patrols left too much water in – doh! The other one was really nice. Also managed to get a large pack of Broccoli for 19p – thank you Sainsburys :D

• Jennifer writes:
    May 23rd, 201012:23 pmat

This says tsp in one portion of the recipe and then it still says one and a half Tbsp on the second portion…It needs to be corrected… I followed the Tbsp part-and it it is salty!!! It is still good, but salty!

• Marcel writes:
    July 7th, 20105:48 amat

for Amy:

There’s no need to spill soup all over the kitchen. Try these tricks: (btw, suggested in the same video).

- First blitz very-very briefly, a few times so the large pieces of broccoli (or whatever you have inside) break up.
    - Cover the lid of the blender with a thick tea towel, folded a couple of times.
    - If your blender got a little screw cap within the lid, take it off so you release some of the pressure. Though some people swear that in this case you don’t need the tea towel, check before with a brief blitz and otherwise cover with the tea towel.
    Good luck!

• Asteria Lame writes:
    August 5th, 201010:37 amat

This is a great recipe, even my father likes it, its just so delicious! The color can be a little off putting. I have never added anything other than broccoli, water, salt and pepper.
    p.s. Start with a little water and work from there

• Tim writes:
    September 27th, 20108:14 pmat

In the Kitchen nightmares episode didn’t Ramsay use a food processor to make the soup? My blender didn’t explode or anything but I’m not sure I got the right consistancy. The taste was great. Has anyone tried it that way and if so how did it come out?

• Cindy writes:
    November 16th, 201011:58 pmat

I made this for a lunch with my daughter. It was great! The funniest thing happened, my grandsons will not touch broccoli, but they love the soup! I wrote it down for my daughter so she can make it for them. She couldn’t believe how easy it was! THANKS GORDON!

• Renee writes:
    November 22nd, 201010:53 amat

I’m about to make this soup, read the comments and just want to give some advice (Ramsay-style, that’s okay, right?):

By putting the f***ing lid on the bl***y blender (and all f***ing blenders have a lid that closes tightly) you easily avoid getting soup everywhere, f*** **! :P

• Stacy writes:
    November 22nd, 20104:30 pmat

I remember seeing Chef Ramsey make this on Kitchen Nightmares a couple of years ago and have always wanted to try it. I did a search Online for a simple broccoli soup recipe but none were the right one, so I did a search for “3 ingredient broccoli soup” and Voila! Here it is! I have some broccoli florettes that didn’t get eaten this weekend, so I’m going to make the soup. Can’t wait to try it! It was great to read all the feedback too :-D

• foodie writes:
    November 24th, 20102:10 pmat

one of the tastiest healthy soup I have ever had! i recommend this to all those who have not tried this yet!

• Kim writes:
    December 19th, 20101:09 pmat

Made this soup last night, it was FABULOUS! I will be making this one on a regular basis. I was surprised at how floresntly green it was and the family was a bit nervous about the first taste with the brightness of it. I am wondering if I can make asparagus soup with the same recipe. (I didn’t have goat cheese, so I swirled a dollip of sour cream in it)
    Thanks Gordon!

• Chris Chambers writes:
    January 6th, 20116:19 pmat

I remember this episode. No one liked the 20 different ingredient one. I laughed SO hard when Gordon said, “I’ve got ONE ingredient”. LOL

Am making for dinner tonight, too…just came to get the steps down but will be back. Ramsey RULES!

• Gina writes:
    January 11th, 20111:59 pmat

I made this soup a few days ago and it was good. I used my Ninja mixer/blender so no soup all of the kitchen stories from me. I am not the biggest fan of goat cheese, so I used shredded Mozerella instead. I think I put in a little too much water, but it was still good and left overs lasted me a few days.

• Lucy Warmbrodt writes:
    January 14th, 20115:37 pmat

Just tried the recipe today and (although I added a little too much water) the soup was great! I agree that the way Gordon added water to the puree in the Kitchen Nightmares episode is the better way to do it. This is definitely going to be a recipe I’ll keep. Thanks for posting all of this!

• Mark Monti writes:
    February 25th, 201111:03 amat

I am going to try this tomorrow and was wondering if i added some creamy cheddar cheese to the recipe how it would respond..do you think this is a good idea?

• Carla writes:
    March 7th, 20114:39 pmat

I just made this. The goat cheese really makes this one. The more the better. I forgot the salt and I think I miss a butter taste. More goat cheese… I always follow a recipe perfectly the first time. I might add a few things, but this is quick, tasty and amazingly simple.

• Elmer Swanepoel writes:
    May 11th, 20112:23 amat

I have made the broc soup many times and it always comes out tops

• Rob writes:
    May 12th, 201111:59 amat

I just made this for my wife and daughter who are both sick. Worked out wonderfully! Being in culinary school I have worked with so many dishes with so many ingredients, this was so simple and so delicious. Thank you so much!

• albert writes:
    May 24th, 20115:22 pmat

This is a Great recipe!! Fantastic Taste – I go to California Chicken restaurant and get their Broccoli soup which is great but this is Just as good if not better… didn’t do the goat cheese although I will have to try it … but just as good by itself my kid likes it with cheddar cubes..

• Shawn L writes:
    May 30th, 201110:35 amat

This is a pretty good recipe, but its made even better by adding half an avocado. The avocado makes the soup much more creamy and fluffy. And some ginger helps too.

• Carole writes:
    June 22nd, 20118:19 amat

I made this soup exactly has Gordon instructed and it was FABULOUS! I tried it with and without the goat cheese/walnuts and love it both ways. Thanks for posting this recipe, it is a keeper, so simple.

• Jeff/ outlaw poet writes:
    July 9th, 20111:27 amat

Made this soup, it was awesome. No problems at all. Used a food processer and shaved extra sharp as garnish on rim ala margarita style in baby blue serving bowls. Not a drop left out of a double recipe.

• Margaret Monique writes:
    July 11th, 20117:03 pmat

Your “Gordon Ramsay‚Äôs Broccoli Soup” was a sensational hit! My husband and I avid watch you on Kitchen Nightmares, Ramsay’s Kitchen, and anything else that we can watch with your name on it! So.. we were excited to see you have posted some of your recipe’s here! Followed directions just as described and OH MY GOODNESS!!! FUCKING PHENOMENAL!!~! =D I actually only ate half the portion that I normally eat because of it’s richness, but don’t think I gave my portion up. I am saving the rest of lunch tomorrow and if my husband even thinks about touching it, there will be hell to pay ;D This dish will be a must have on my menu from now on! It’s as if our pallets were completely cleansed! So simple, such fresh and GREAT ingredients, and only took me 20 mins from top to bottom. Thank you Chef Ramasay for this AMAZING dish!!~! I cannot wait for next week so I can make it again!! =D

• Teresa Ray writes:
    September 3rd, 20111:15 pmat

I am wondering if this style of soup could be made with carrots, a small bit of honey, a dash of salt? I enjoy carrots cooked down in honey water and am wondering if throwing it in the blender would make a good soup. I’ll try it next week and get back to you. Wish me luck!

• Tiki writes:
    September 10th, 201112:22 pmat

Saw your recipe on your show before. Finally got around to trying it. And as you say………it’s absolutely marvelous!!! Best tasting broccoli soup I have ever had!!! Thank you!
    You’re awesome!

• Ealla writes:
    October 11th, 20116:12 pmat

I made this tonight, except I cannot have cheese but I put the walnuts and drizzled the top with some tart yogurt mixed with cracked pepper and then also drizzled it with olive oil, it was delicious!!! I will def be making this again! I saved the extra broccoli stock water to use for next time so I will have double the broccoli flavor.

• miskinladi writes:
    October 23rd, 20117:17 amat

Can the basic version of this recipe be frozen and served at a later date? I would like this for christmas time and once reheated will add the walnuts & cheese.

thanks for your reply in advance

Miskinladi

• Foodie writes:
    October 31st, 201111:52 amat

I don’t see why not. Of course Gordon would become irate if you mentioned freezing his recipe, but it would probably still taste good.

• Miss Jay writes:
    November 16th, 20114:52 pmat

It’s sort of amusing to me, this is how I homemade babyfood for both my kids . . .

• jackieg writes:
    November 29th, 20118:35 amat

I have just found this recipe so am giving it a try. I have already misunderstood the directions and cooked the broccolli in very little water!! Will let you know how it turns out!

• jackieg writes:
    November 29th, 20119:19 amat

I only made a litte of this soup, due to living alone and not wanting to offend Mr Ramsey by freezing it!! The broccolli took longer to cook than advised on the video, obviously because I didn’t cook it in loads of water! I used a stem liquidiser and all of the cooking water, which was very green! The result was a pea-green thick and creamy soup that tasted delicious! It was a tad salty due to me not using enough water and not thinking about how much salt I was adding. Next time I will go easier on the salt especially if I am going to use all of the water for the end product! Just wish I had had some goat’s cheese to add to it!! Gorgeous!

• penelope rees writes:
    December 16th, 20119:37 amat

The recipe itself still says tbsps of salt, although in the ingredients section it does say tsps… watch out :)

• lynn holbrook writes:
    January 1st, 20121:09 amat

To Amy: Stay away from broccoli and nuts. I have severe TMJ and they are on the do not eat list.