SIDEBAR
B
A
R
Gordon Ramsay’s Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb – F Word Series One
November 18th, 2009 by Foodie

Gordon Ramsay’s Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb from The F Word – Series 1

gordon ramsays herb crusted rack of lambGordon Ramsay made this tasty looking rack of lamb on the first episode of the first season of The F Word. Like many of Gordon’s recipes, the primary herb ingredients are rosemary, thyme and garlic. This is sure to be a scrumptious meal for fans of Chef Ramsay’s cooking.

Ingredients for the Lamb:

• 2 large racks of Lamb cut in half with 3 bones per serving
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Olive Oil

Ingredients for the Crust:

• 4 slices of stale bread made into crumbs.
  • 7 Tbs. grated parmesan (roughly 1/2 a cup)
  • Sprig parsley
  • Sprig thyme
  • Sprig coriander
  • Sprig rosemary
  • 2 tablespoons English mustard (or sub with dijon)
  • splash of olive oil

Preparing the Lamb:

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. It should actually be 392 degrees, but don’t worry about getting that technical unless you have a digital oven.

Place lamb on cutting board fat side up. Lightly score the fat layer with a sharp knife. Next, generously sprinkle the lamb with salt and pepper. Mop up the excess seasoning with the rack of lamb, ensuring it’s thoroughly coated.

Heat some olive oil in an oven safe pan. Seal the lamb by holding each side in the oil long enough to develop color (careful not to burn your hands). Gordon Ramsay says, “it’s simple mathematics, no color, equals no taste”. Quite simple indeed! Make sure you brown that lamb.

Transfer the pan with the lamb into the oven and bake for 7-8 minutes. Prepare the crust while the lamb is cooking.

Preparing the Crust:

Place  all of the ingredients for the crust except the mustard into a blender and pulse several times until it looks nice and green. Make sure you don’t over do it with the olive oil, just a splash.

Pour the mixture into a deep dish (bowl or plate) and set aside.

gordon ramsays herb crusted rack of lamb prepPutting it All Together:

Remove the lamb from the oven and brush generously with mustard. Dip the lamb into the crust mixture coating it completely. Dip several times to ensure an even coating. Allow meat to rest for a bit.

Place it back into the oven for 3-4 minutes when you’re ready to serve.

Gordon serves the lamb with potatoes boulangère and courgettes provençal, but you can serve with anything you find fitting. I’ll gladly post the recipe for the side dishes if someone wants it. Just ask for it in a comment.

Let me know how this recipe turns out for you.

EDIT: I’ve added one of the side dishes, Gordon Ramsay’s Potatoes Boulangère. I will add the other soon and update this post with it’s link.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

74 Responses
  • Danae writes:
    November 19th, 200910:40 amat

Wow, yes, I am making this, it looks phenomenal. Please post the side-dishes! :)

• Foodie writes:
    November 19th, 200911:46 amat

Great! Thanks for the comment. Posting one of the side dishes now. I will post the other soon.

• Gordon Ramsay’s Potatoes Boulangère Recipe from The F Word | Gordon Ramsay's Recipes writes:
    November 19th, 200912:25 pmat

[...] Ramsay made these potatoes to go along with his Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb on The F Word, Series One, Episode [...]

• Terence writes:
    November 26th, 20093:52 amat

Yeah I love the look of this one! I am going to try it :D Thanks for posting!

• Renato Rivera writes:
    December 8th, 20099:34 amat

Hi!
    I’m from Domincan Reepublic and I’ll would like to get some books by Gordon Ramsay.
    What can I do for that?

• Scener writes:
    December 29th, 20092:33 pmat

I’ve tried this recipe and had one problem; when I sliced the rack the herb breadcrumb crust easily fell off the meat leaving most of the crust on the plate.
    How can I avoid this??

E

• Craig writes:
    January 3rd, 20105:29 pmat

I didn’t have all of the ingredients so had to improvise for the herb crust. I just used packaged breadcrumbs and packaged grated parmesan cheese that I blended with several sprigs of fresh rosemary from my garden. It tasted great – the whole family loved it.

Thanks Gordon – great recipe (even though I didn’t stick to it exactly).

• Ronnie writes:
    February 28th, 201010:00 amat

I only had rack of lamb once, and have been craving it ever since. This recipe makes me want to try and make it myself. It doesn’t look so difficult. Thanks for sharing, I’ll let you know how it goes when I try it.

• Oleg Myshkin writes:
    March 14th, 20109:08 amat

It does not seem possible to prepare the crust in a blender since most of the ingredients are solids and there is no liquid that would allow for the ingredients to blend. I used a meat grinder instead and it worked well.

• Randy Avery writes:
    March 16th, 20103:06 pmat

I Love this Rack of Lamb! I have made this four times and it’s quite awesome every time. I’ve also added a port wine sauce which went very well with it. Thanks Gordon. Love what you do!

• maurizio writes:
    March 26th, 20103:41 pmat

this is for Scener
    before puting the herb bread crumbs,put the lamb rack in a egg yolk and then continue as the recipe !!

• Mr.T writes:
    April 24th, 201012:45 pmat

I made this recipe and have to say it turned out fantastically. I had to adjust the cooking times though, but with a little extra baking, this was honestly the most succulent med-rare/rare piece of meat I’ve ever cooked. Thank you for posting the recipe, its well worth the price of the rack.

• kayla writer writes:
    June 23rd, 20107:30 amat

THAT WAS THE BEST RACK OF LAMB I HAVE EVER HAD IT WAS AMAING. THANKS GORDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Samantha writes:
    December 22nd, 20107:36 pmat

Tryed it the family loved it, told me I was a professional chef now, hehe

• Jodie writes:
    January 9th, 20113:25 pmat

OMG. That was truly delicious – I ended up cooking the rack for around 20 minutes after applying the crust (the first part I did as the recipe describes) and it was TRULY delicious – one of the finest things I’ve eaten AND I COOKED IT!! Thanks Gordon – that was so simple to make and I feel like a total master chef ;) x

• Stiliyan writes:
    January 11th, 201111:33 amat

Outstanding way to cook lamb! We have just eaten it with my fioncee and we loved it. THANK YOU!!!

• Drew writes:
    January 15th, 20118:13 amat

I have tried this recipe half a dozen times for visiting friends and the result was VERY well received. The flavors work so beautifully together….and yes must use Dijon Mustard, it does make the flavors work.

P.S. I will start Culinary School this spring!

Thanks for the inspiration Gordon!!

• t baby writes:
    January 21st, 20117:10 amat

mmmmmm yummy going to try this to night.

• Pete Mitchell writes:
    February 3rd, 201111:19 amat

Thanks! I’m so gonna try it :)

• raceview bed & breakfast writes:
    February 4th, 201110:54 pmat

folks have said….’I've had to adjust the cooking times’…..and now, I’ve just experienced this….so, what’s up with that??? This sounds so delicious and so easy and so perfect….then to have to put the rack back into the oven and guess the time….please don’t say it’s the size of the rack. Any suggestions????

• raceview bed & breakfast writes:
    February 4th, 201111:03 pmat

well,…
    I used this recipe tonight, but am less than satisfied. I had to put the lamb back into the oven for a whole lot longer than stated…..medium rare….needed a whole lot more. I liked the mustard/herb crust, but didn’t enjoy having to cook the meat longer than required.

• Vera writes:
    February 6th, 20117:41 pmat

Dijon is in France, so it is French mustard not english my dear.

• Jon Hicks writes:
    February 8th, 201110:10 pmat

My wife and I recently visited Cerise in the Conrad hotel in Tokyo, Japan.
    we looked forward to the day for weeks. I was very excited to try the herb crusted lamb.
    I’m sad to say that it was nothing like I expected. The herb crust was more like paste than crust. Also the lamb was served cold. Quite shoking actually.
    My wife very much enjoyed her meal, except for the cooking twine found on her plate from the beef fillet.
    From my image if Ramsay’s restaurant, I thought there would be much better quality control.

I hope someday to have the chance to try this dish again as it was meant to be.

sincerely,
    Jon Hicks

• Foodie writes:
    February 14th, 201110:42 pmat

Thanks Vera, I corrected the recipe to reflect your statement.

• Foodie writes:
    February 14th, 201110:50 pmat

After noting several comments stating that cooking times are incorrect, I’m wondering if everyone is following the instructions and adding 3-4 minutes of cook time at the end of the preparation. Please let me know if you’ve experienced a less than perfect rack of lamb even after adding the 4 minutes of additional cook time. I will update the recipe to reflect your experience if you have.

• Ben Hallinan writes:
    February 17th, 201110:28 pmat

thanks gordon for this recipe it was awesome. everybody in my family loves it. Ben

• Dolce Gusto writes:
    February 20th, 201112:37 amat

No that seems to have done the trick. Turned out beautifully!

• Peter Caines writes:
    March 5th, 201110:08 amat

Thanks for this, time to get off my computer and start cooking!!

• nkk writes:
    March 12th, 20111:17 pmat

I do not know if this is the problem, but are you people cooking your lamb from a cold refridgerator, or are you letting it come to room temperature for 25 minutes or so before hand? If you cook it from cold, what will happen is that in the oven the outside will get nice a crusty/brown color and look done but the inside will still be in the process of being brought up to temperature to cook. In this case, you will have to cook longer, as the oven not only has to take tome to cook, but also to bring the temperature up more than usual. That could add anywhere fro 5 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness, initial temperature,variances in fat content, etc. Same applies to most meats one would cook in an oven.

Note that the pan stage is for searing/color only, it does not heat up the whole rack.

• chales writes:
    March 25th, 20118:27 amat

Yes Vera Dijon is french but the recipe calls for Dijon as a SUB for the English musturd if you don’t have any, that doesn’t mean the call is for French Musturd…there is a difference between the two.

• lee thomas writes:
    April 12th, 20114:16 amat

hey ,there is no mention of what amounts to use to make the crust ,i dont want to put too much of one thing in it and spoil an expensive rack of lamb,please help?

• matt lohkamp writes:
    April 16th, 201112:35 amat

A friend and I tried this recipe out tonight, with fantastic payoff. take a look at some photos – http://imgur.com/vliYt – we eyeballed everything from watching the episode, didn’t look up the recipe until afterwards, but they turned out incredibly delicious regardless.

• Christine writes:
    April 21st, 20116:29 pmat

I wondered if anyone considered using fresh mint in place of some of the other herbs? I saw this on youtube and noted that chef Ramsay did not mention coriander. Anyone try that out?

• Susan Pascal Beran writes:
    April 24th, 20111:32 pmat

Wow! what a great dish. I marinated the meat in olive oil, garlic, and rosemary a couple of hours before which super infused it with flavor. Also added some herbs of provence to the crust, couldn’t find coriander sprig so used some seeds. Like other readers, had to cook the second time longer (15 minutes) probably because my oven loses so much heat when it gets opened. This was necessary to get a crunchy crust, meat was still a lovely tender pink. Superb!

• Susan Pascal Beran writes:
    April 24th, 20111:33 pmat

P.S. Was a little confused about how much one sprig is exactly…

• jim writes:
    April 24th, 20114:42 pmat

I’ve cooked this a number of times now and keep getting better at it as time goes on. This last attempt I added garlic to the dry mix, whew, it was so good! The crust does seem to fall of but never all of it. Also, this last go was with a very thick layer of meat on the rack. I let it go for an extra 6 or 7 minutes plus 8 more minutes after resting and putting on the crust,and it was still quite rare, but very good all he same. My children just love it, as do I.
    Thanks for a great recipe.

• sirlambsalot writes:
    April 30th, 20118:13 amat

Just making this now, and yes – the cooking time seems way off. After browning in the pan and then being in the oven for 8 mins at 200C (400F), the internal temperature of the meat was 28C (vs. 58C for rare meat). No way this is going to be done enough with an extra 4 mins at 200C. I should add that this is for a whole rack – not cut into thirds, but this shouldn’t make that big of a difference.

• Nick writes:
    May 23rd, 201111:49 pmat

Done it twice now, came out pretty pink this second time (cant remember the first). Vegetarian girlfriend asked “is that cooked?”. And yes, with 4 mins extra. Although didn’t rest the meat after – which would have let the meat cook a bit longer.
    In conclusion, with the 3-4mins at end, and no resting time i got rare lamb – like it rare though so not complaining.

• Jen writes:
    June 6th, 20111:24 amat

omg, this is so good!
    I made this 2 weeks ago and forgot the mustard and it was very good, yesterday I made it again with the mustard, and boy what a difference! Alot more flavour, really the best meat I have ever eaten!

• Jen writes:
    June 6th, 20111:28 amat

Oh, and for the cooking time:
    The first time I just added some color to the lamb in the pan, and the put it in the oven for 7 minutes. After applying the herb crust, I had to put it in the oven for 15 more minutes! (and I like it pink!)

Yesterday I did colore the meat in the pan, and let it stay in the pan for 2 more minutes or so, and then followed the recipe (7 + 3 minutes) and it was perfect. It all depends on how long you keep it in the pan.

Another important thing is how you put it in the oven, if you keep it in the pan in which you cooked it, it will go much faster (the pan is still really hot). If you put it in a cold dish and then in the oven, it will go much slower.
    I don’t have an oven-compatible pan, so I put it in a oven tray which was preheated in the oven (this still goes slower than leaving it in the pan, hence the 2 extra minutes I put it in the pan before putting it in the oven).

I hope this is clear.

• Jen writes:
    June 6th, 20111:31 amat

And another thing for the cooking time, the size of the rack of lamb obviously matters too. Don’t put the entire rack in the pan and oven, do it like gordon and make meal sized portions (3-4 bone rack). Some racks are bigger than others, just keep that in mind and add a minute if you have a large one.

• jdgooni writes:
    June 8th, 20112:11 amat

yeah this reciepe looks great, im 15 and gordon has always been a inspration so im going to try this recipe

hope every one loves it

• JuneBug writes:
    July 12th, 201112:39 pmat

OMG! This was absolutely delish!! The lamb was tender and cooked just to perfection. The crust was amazingly seasoned just right. My husband and daughter both raved about it and finished the 9 racks that I made. I will definitely be making this again and again. Can’t wait to try this with a group of my friends.

• Jonty writes:
    November 5th, 201111:39 amat

Golden!! Just cooked this for myself and my mother in law. Cut each rack into 4 portions, followed cooking times and it came out perfectly pink. Served with potato gratin, green beans and honey glazed carrots and a bottle of Spanish red wine.
    Going to put on the stretchy pants now!! Cheers Gordon for a simple recipe. PS: The lamb was at room temp and this does make a difference to cooking times.

• Patrick writes:
    November 19th, 20117:36 pmat

I fed six with 3 small racks – so 9 racks for 3, doesn’t add up for me.

But, I’ve used this recipe for inspiration 10 or more times…but I cheat and use prepared breadcrumbs instead; its awesome, but cook times do need to be adjusted depending on the size of your rack and how you like it done…

• Maaike writes:
    November 27th, 20115:31 amat

this will be my christmas main course this year, thank you

• liam writes:
    December 11th, 201111:11 pmat

it taste wonderful.

• Charisma writes:
    December 15th, 20113:22 amat

I have a dinner party tomorrow night. Can I seal and cover the lamb with the herb crust tonight, then leave it in the fridge until I need to finish the final oven step tomorrow?

Charisma x

• Christine writes:
    December 25th, 20117:07 amat

Tried this recipe. Does Gordon Ramsay like to see his lamb walk off of the plate. Not even close to being cooked with only 8 min. Then 3-4 min. Had to cook for an additional 15 min. The potatoes were great, but they took over 30 min. The lamb was great.

• Nicola writes:
    December 27th, 201112:31 pmat

how many people is this recipe for?

x Nicola